Friday, November 9, 2007

Working through a Miscarriage

At a staff lunch meeting, my co-worker I will call X announced that his wife is pregnant. He was bouncing off the walls with happiness about the eight week ultrasound. People started to go around the table telling ultrasound stories, mostly not pregnancy related. I did not tell mine, as it is very unpleasant and no one at work knows that I was ever pregnant. Co-worker X asked another male co-worker, Z, for advice about being a dad. Co-worker Z said "Well, wait to the second trimester to tell people" (Which is kind of rude, obviously)

Co-worker X said "Why?"

Then no one knew what to say, because bringing up miscarriage to someone when they anounce their pregnancy is kind of awkward. But then someone alluded to it. Co-worker X said "Oh.....I never thought of that."

I thought, "It would be nice to live in a world where miscarriage never even occured to you."

No comments: