Sunday, June 15, 2008

First Train Seat

Its official--I look pregnant enough that I was offered a seat on the subway. In my experience, it IS true that people treat you different. Many strangers look at my belly and smile at me. My co-workers seem very interested in what I eat. Thank goodness its not in a judgemental way, just making sure I know there is free food available so that I can get first dips. It is somewhat hillarious that co-workers who I never talked to before seem concerned that I get enough ice cream when there is cake and ice cream for a birthday.

I also find that I am pretty uncomfortable a lot of the time, even though I am not to third trimester yet. My feet, ankles and legs get really swollen which limits the time each day I can stand and walk. Already?! I am embarrassed at how vain I feel about this development.

I've enjoyed the pregnancy so much more the past week. When she kicks, it feels real. I have odd maternal thoughts, like "She is so cute when she kicks" I know that doesnt even make sense. And the stuff that I kept wanting to put off like going to childbirth class, visiting the hospital and meeting the lawyer for the second parent adoption can't be put off much longer.

I realized that despite all the thought I put into the pregnancy, the parenting, even the baby's room-I didn't spend any time thinking about the birth. Lovely Partner is obsessed with reading about births and learning everything she can. I've been mildly avoidant. The other day I was taking one of my frequent spontaneous naps and I heard a baby crying. I was so confused. I looked over to the other side of the couch--It was Lovely, watching births on youtube.

I better learn some stuff!

No comments: